October 25, 2011

Biology

As most of you know, I'm a high-school special education teacher. I've always had a passion for helping people, but helping kids learn is one of my biggest passions. I moved schools this year and it's been a hard transition for me. I had made some wonderful friends at Montevallo, loved my administrators, and felt needed by my kids.

I switched schools due to the convenience of being closer to home, 5 minutes from home to be exact! While being so close to home is nice, I miss my teacher friends and administrators. I also miss my sweet/crazy kids that kept me on my toes!

This year I feel like I've been challenged more than ever with my new students. I have 2 particular students who are at a learning level that is lower than most 3rd graders. I've really struggled with how to teach them and what to teach them. While I understand I have to teach to state standards and objectives, I really just want to teach them social skills, real-life skills, and how to survive once they leave high-school.

We are currently studying genetics in Biology and while it's hard for me to understand, I know it's even harder for them to understand! Brant has been on an ER rotation this past week and on into this week. Last night he worked the night shift so he had today off to sleep. Well, he was so sweet today and surprised me at work with chick-fil-a and a Dr. pepper! He also decided to help my boys out with their Biology work and teach them a little genetics on the side. It was so nice to have him share in my day and meet all of my new kids and co-workers!

I'm so thankful for a sweet and loving husband! He supports me in my career and I'm so appreciative for that! I don't know if I will stay in the world of education forever, but I'm so grateful for my job and the kids that I am able to work with every day. I'm also thankful for my new friends and to be so close to home!

Thank-you Brant for coming to my school today, bringing me lunch, working with my kids, and always loving me! I love you!

1 comment:

  1. So sweet! I wonder what Jacob would have done in front of my students. I know they wouldn't have learned genetics! :)

    ReplyDelete