July 10, 2011

DIY- furniture

Brant and I have become big fans of "do it yourself" projects lately. Before we moved into the townhome, I wanted a few pieces of new furniture. Since new furniture wasn't in our budget, we decided to do a makeover on some of the pieces that we already had.

We had an entire bedroom suite that had been his grandparents(Phillips) that we inherited last summer. All the pieces were different shades of brown and I had really been wanting something along the lines of an antique white. So, here is where the project began!

We bought a small Black & Decker hand sander at Wal-Mart and Brant got to work! He sanded 6 pieces total.


We then primed everything!


then painted 2 coats of paint


and here are our finished products!



Unfortunately, I don't have a before shot of this dresser and mirror, but it used to be a shade of white. My parents bought it a yard sale a few years ago and then my grandfather painted it for me. We chose a cactus green(can't seem to remember the exact color) and it looks great in our guest bedroom!


Black & Decker hand sander: $25
Primer, paint, and 2 paint brushes:  $40
New knobs for everything:$75
Total cost: $140

We are very proud of our "new" furniture and very pleased with how it has turned out. Brant is awesome and I am so thankful for a husband who is willing to try a do it yourself project that is very time consuming! (Especially when he has a wife who isn't a fan of the sun unless there is a large body of water around!)

No comments:

Post a Comment