A few weeks ago in our SS class, our lesson was based on friendship. We talked about the biblical references to friendship and how friendships really affect our daily lives.
John 15:12-15 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.
We talked about how important it is to invest in our friends and to really make an effort in your relationships with friends. It really got me thinking...
I have been reminded so much lately how friendships truly are important. While in college, I made some great girlfriends that I still keep in touch with. We don't see each other very often, but we try to stay in touch.
While in my first 3 years of teaching, I made some friends that will last a lifetime.
Proverbs 12:26 One who is righteous is a guide to his neighbor, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.
Since Brant and I have been together, I have been more than fortunate to make more friends! (If you know Brant, you know he is friends with everyone) I was so scared and worried when I moved to Birmingham a little over a year ago that I was going to have such a hard time making girlfriends and having those special friendships to get me through a year of transition. God showed me in so many ways that He would take care of me and that He did!
Two weeks ago tonight, we all got together to say farewell to the Haynies, some of our very best friends! Brant has been friends with Brant & Katie since their freshmen year at Auburn. He was in their wedding, they hauled him along to Utah for 6 months in between undergrad and dental school, they endured dental school together, we celebrated the birth of their first born son last September, they celebrated our wedding with us in January, this past July we grieved the loss of Brant's dad with them, but celebrated in knowing that we will see him again someday with Christ Jesus, and now we are celebrating a new phase in all of our lives with careers!
They moved to begin their career with the Air Force. I couldn't decide who was more upset, their parents or me! I like to joke that Brant & Katie raised my Brant because he has spent the last 9 years being their "child". They just so happened to be the first set of Brant's friends that I met two Novembers ago as we shared laughs at Yogurt Mountain. They are precious, precious friends and I pray that God lets us continue our friendship as we are miles apart.
I've realized in the past few weeks just how hard growing up really is! I'm beginning to think I want to live on a compound with all of our family and friends next door! Cherish your friendships and thank God for them daily!
Proverbs 11:14 Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety.
Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.




No comments:
Post a Comment